- We assisted Mekonos in converting an existing office space into multiple labs and separate office spaces, including an ISO 6 (Class 1,000) clean room.
- Our design had to consider the multiple lab types: chemistry lab, bio-microfluidic lab, hacker space, and ISO 6 cleanroom, as well as an office and collaboration area.
- Our new mechanical system includes multiple rooftop units, dedicated outside air systems (DOAS), and exhaust fans to provide different operating schedules to maintain pressure differential between labs.
- The cleanroom was equipped with HEPA fan filter units to provide up to 180 air changes per hour (ACH) to the space.
- Our biggest challenge was designing an HVAC system to deliver large amounts of airflow to the built-up ISO 6 cleanroom and working with the design and construction teams on a design that would keep contaminants out.
- The office-to-lab conversion took place in a multi-tenant building. We needed to ensure our design would accommodate the continued occupancy and functionality of the remaining building tenants. We made sure the essential MEP system requirements were uninterrupted and operational for the other occupants.
- Who is Mekonos? Mekonos is an innovative biotech startup building solutions that enable and accelerate precision medicine, synthetic biology & fundamental science.